Prev: Re: [DSII] Sinking hover tanks Next: RE: [DSII] Sinking hover tanks

RE: [DSII] Sinking hover tanks

From: "B Lin" <lin@r...>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 10:45:29 -0600
Subject: RE: [DSII] Sinking hover tanks

The Ekranoplane uses a slightly different ground-effect technique to
generate lift.	The downflow of air from the wings rebounds from the
ground and back up to provide additional lift to the craft.  This effect
is limited to a height roughly 1/2 the wingspan.  In addition, the lift
effect only kicks in at speed, so at low speeds (i.e. taking off) the
Ekranoplane is just a fast boat and sits in the water.	It has no
capability to hover or move slowly over terrain.

As for a heavy GEV craft being able to get across water - think skipping
stones.  Obviously rocks are denser than water, but it is possible to
skip them right across a pond.	Don't know if you can do that with an
air-cushion (not enough substance to redirect all that momentum quickly
upward) but in theory a fast moving object with constant propulsion
should be able to skip indefinitely across water.

Perhaps tanks could be equipped with a small set of retractable
hydroplanes to provide additional lift?

--Binhan