Prev: Re: 28mm Boiler Suit Apes Next: Re: 28mm Boiler Suit Apes

Re: Fighters....Re: Full Thrust vs Starmada

From: "Eric Foley" <stiltman@t...>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 14:13:16 -0700
Subject: Re: Fighters....Re: Full Thrust vs Starmada

In my old games, we didn't use CEF in the early going in FT2, but by the

time we got to FBs we had started using it.

When I was playing with my ex-wife's brother, we typically played 5000
point
battles where pretty much anything goes.  Mixed tech, nova cannons/wave
guns
(and we also allowed them to scale up similar to plasma bolts), cloaking

fields, reflex fields, anything your heart desired, it was fair game.
We
had a few house rules to settle a few questions of mixed tech, and
generally
it went fairly well.

Maybe it was a matter of the humiliation of one-sided defeats whenever
someone guessed wrong if they over-loaded on dealing with fighters or
with
ship-to-ship armaments, and maybe it was that we didn't play often
enough
that we could afford not to care if we lost that badly by doing so.  But
we
never really fell into the paper-rock-scissors game that Oerjan
describes.
My ex-brother-in-law was a little more given to overspecializing in this
way
than I was, and when he guessed right it usually was not that great (if
at
all) of a victory, while if he guessed wrong he suffered some of his
most
crushing defeats ever.	Our most one-sided battle ever came when he
tried
flying a slow mega-dreadstar with no fighters, no escorts, a ton of PDS,
all
figuring he'd just slog through the expected fighter swarm and pick off
the
carriers with the modest ship-to-ship armament he had.	Then I didn't
bring
fighters; I brought warships armed with nova cannons in the main element

with a flanking detachment of fast-flying cruisers with stiff
screens/armor
and needle beams.  He wasn't able to destroy the cruisers as they swung
out
wide and behind him, he was at a severe maneuvering disadvantage, and
the
cruisers took out his drives in about three turns, as well as his FTL.
The
ship struck its colors almost immediately rather than be annihilated.

This was embarassing enough that trying to over-load against fighters at
the
expense of offensive firepower just didn't happen again, on either side.

They were something to be accounted for, but we never got to
paper-rock-scissors.  This incident was probably the closest we came,
and
the example of what happens when one guessed wrong was bad enough that
we
played more balanced fleets.  However, by the end of our time playing
the
game, I tended to pack about a hundred scatterguns, give or take
depending
on whether I had fighters or not, just on the off chance that the idea
of
soap bubble carriers occurred to him.  He didn't try it by the time I
divorced his sister, and after that we didn't play again.

Eric/Stilt