Prev: Re: [OT] Digital Camera Next: Re: new GZG 15s??

Re: [LONG] Unified Fighter Proposal UFP Lite

From: le morpion <morpion_1@y...>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 11:35:51 +0200 (CEST)
Subject: Re: [LONG] Unified Fighter Proposal UFP Lite

> This is my unsanctioned, highly condensed version of
> the beta version
> UFP.	For the more complete version, see the link
> Roger posted earlier
> today.  The tables at the end are ugly, but
> hopefully they're
> intelligible--it looks a lot better as an RTF
> document.  This is beta
> test only, not to be taken as official--do not
> forward it to
> non-list-members or publish it.  Copyright 2004 by
> Jon Tuffley.	Any
> errors and omissions are the fault of the black
> sheep which is staring
> at me.

It does look good to me :)
Without adding much complexity to the game and keeping
all current ships playable it 'll probably provide
solutions against massive use of fighters.

I've 2 question anyway :
1/ ADFC used for directing fire of say "standard
weapon" in anti ship mode, I understand priority goes
to this standrd weapon own fire arc and range band
compare to the regular 12" of the ADFC -looks logical
to me but I'm not sure reading the text-

2/ This amendment is to give players new opportunities
against fighters, to the cost for them of not beeing
able to use all their fire power against enemy capital
ships, a good equilibrium. Then fighters are attacking
now AFTER capital ships fire, which sort of reduce
there efficiency (they don't have initiative compare
to capital ships fire), good enough since fighters can
make several attacks. Same for plasm bolts, their
attack round is also resolved after capial ship fire,
but since it can shoot several times during a battle,
you can "re-use" it several time.
On the contrary this rule reduce the power of salvo
missile/ AMT and it's may not be the original goal
(provide solution against fighter attack).
The new shoot opportunities of anti ship fire can be
directed to missiles, fairly logical as it's allowed
against fighters, it's consistent. But surviving
missiles now strikes after capital ship fire and there
they loose a significant part of their tactical
utility : beeing able to strike enemy ships first. As
stated before it's not bothering me for "re-usable"
weapons as fighters and plasma bolts but a bit more
for missiles, that are single shot weapons.

Is this rule proposal intended effectivley to reduce
SML/SMR/AMT power ? is it a collateral damage for
these weapon ?
Could it be possible for missile to keep their attack
resolution before capital ships, it's giving a more
complex turn sequence (adding a 7.5 missile attacks).
Then fighters can't be used to attack missiel due to
turn sequence ... but i've always found strange the
fact that fighters could engage very mobile missiles
:D.
It's of course a not yet tested point of view but I
used almost every time my missile boats in such way I
can take advantage of their "initiative". Losing this
advantage would reduce, to me, greatly their
efficiency.

what you think ?

/morp

> [...]
> hit destroys one fighter, one missile, or one
> strength level of a
> Plasma Bolt or AMT.
>  Point Defense mode fire is never limited by Aft arc
> restriction and
> does not always  require a FCS.  The target's
> Evasive Maneuver DRM
> does not affect Point Defense mode fire; however,
> Heavy Fighters,
> Plasma Bolts and AMTs have a -1 DRM. Each HIT
> destroys one fighter,
> missile, or strength level of a Plasma Bolt or AMT.
> If the weapon has
> a target within arc and Point Defense mode range, it
> may attack:
>     · a fighter group or ordnance marker attacking
> the ship, without
> using a FCS.
>     · a fighter group / ordnance which is not
> attacking the firing
> ship.  A FCS must be dedicated to attack the target;
> that FCS may also
> direct Anti-Ship mode fire from other weapons
> against that target.
> A weapon firing in Point Defense mode cannot damage
> a ship, as the
> fire is too scattered and low-powered to affect a
> full-sized vessel.
>  If the firing ship has an ADFC devoted to covering
> a friendly ship,
> any weapon with a Point Defense mode may fire
> against a fighter group
> or ordnance marker which is attacking the covered
> ship. The target
> must be within arc but does not need to be within
> its usual Point
> Defense mode range.  Kra'Vak scatterguns and
> Sa'Vasku interceptor pods
> may not use ADFC guidance.
>
> Escorting
>
> A fighter group being escorted by another fighter
> group may not be
> attacked by enemy fighters unless one of the
> following applies:
>     · either the escorting group or the escorted
> group has fired; OR
>     · the attacking fighter group targets each
> escorting fighter with
> at least one of its own fighters, with only the
> remainder able to fire
> on the escorted fighter group; OR
>     · the attacking fighter group accepts fire from
> the escorts
> immediately, out of initiative order, before its own
> attacks are
> calculated.
>
> Note that once either the escorting or the escorted
> group has fired,
> the effect of the escort vanishes and the escorted
> group may be
> attacked normally by other fighters.
>
> Weapons
>
> Anti-Ship Mode--apply Evasive Maneuver DRM
> Weapon       Range   To Hit		    Dmg/hit
> PDS		  6mu	   Beam die-2*	   1
> Beam 1	12mu	 Beam die*	  1
> K1 gun	 30mu	  K gun 	     K gun
> Scattergun	6mu	  Beam die	   1
> Pulser	 (varies)    Beam die	      1
> Spicules, Interceptor pods:  no anti-ship mode

=== message truncated ===

Découvrez le nouveau Yahoo! Mail : 250 Mo d'espace de stockage pour vos
mails !

Prev: Re: [OT] Digital Camera Next: Re: new GZG 15s??