Prev: Re: Fighters.... Re: Full Thrust vs Starmada Next: Re: Fighters....Re: Full Thrust vs Starmada

Re: Full Thrust vs Starmada

From: Charles Taylor <nerik@m...>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 22:36:00 +0100
Subject: Re: Full Thrust vs Starmada

In message <Pine.GSO.4.58.0504252209440.22334@vtn1.victoria.tc.ca>
	  Brian Burger <yh728@victoria.tc.ca> wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Apr 2005, Laserlight wrote:
>
>> An alternative to this version of waves is to say that fighters carry
>> a single effective anti-ship attack.  Once you've dropped your one
>> bomb/torpedo, you can use anti-fighter weapons (including against
>> ships) until your fuel is gone, but you won't be terribly effective
in
>> the anti-ship role until you go back and re-arm.
>
> This gets to my two favourite FT fighter-fix ideas:
>
> 1. Treat fighter main armament as PDS instead of a half-range B1. You
do
> *1* point on a 6 vs ships then. (PDS don't get re-rolls vs ships, do
> they? They shouldn't...)

I actually posted a slightly less severe version of this to the
playtest list:

Mine was standard fighter inflicts 1 hit to a ship on a roll of 5+,
but with a re-roll if not KV. Vs. non-KV fighters, screen-1 negated
rolls of 5, and screen-2 negated rolls of 5 & 6, but not the re-roll.
The re-rolls also inflict damage on a roll of 5+, and are there to
prevent screen-2 ships being immune to standard fighters.
Attack fighters just do a normal beam dice to ships (like standard
fighters do in the FT 2 rules).
I'm tempted to tone down Torpedo fighters as well - suggestions?

Important Note:

It should be noted that, by itself, this will not solve the massed
fighters problem, it just moves the point at which fighters become
overwhelming up a bit.

> 2. Discard the 'standard fighter' entirely. Allow interceptors, torp
> fighters, and that's about it. (This is pretty much the same as
> Laserlight's proposal above, taken a short step further.)
>
> Of course, junking the things entirely might be considered... ;)
Jutland
> is far more interesting to wargame than Midway, IMNSHO...
>
> Brian
> www.warbard.ca/games.html

Or have fighters move like ships (and even designed like ships), yes
this would slow the game down if you have lots - but that may not be a
wholey bad thing :)

Charles

Prev: Re: Fighters.... Re: Full Thrust vs Starmada Next: Re: Fighters....Re: Full Thrust vs Starmada