Prev: Re: Fighter Defenses was Re: Full Thrust vs Starmada Next: Re: Fighters....Re: Full Thrust vs Starmada

Re: Fighters....Re: Full Thrust vs Starmada

From: "Grant A. Ladue" <ladue@c...>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 12:09:04 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: Fighters....Re: Full Thrust vs Starmada

> > > fit in those 6000 points.  Don't have the books handy but it's got
to be
> > > over 100.
> > >
> > > I get 93 points/ea if you include FTL, so about 64 ships for
6000pts.
> > > I've played games like that, and had it be rather more even than
the
> > > massed-fighters deal.  OTOH, if you make it Beam 4 and Thrust 8,
that gets
> > > ugly.
> > >

> >How about making them 3 x beam 1, thrust 6 and 1 point of armor?
Then
> >   they're 35 points each.  Complement them with some with 1 ER SMR
and 1
> > beam 1
> >   for 47 points each (remove 2 beam 1 and the armor).  That's 100 of
the
> > first
> >   and 53 of the second.  Build your fleet up to speed 30 and overrun
the
> > other
> >   guy.
>
> You mean "...and overSHOOT the other guy". When you move at speed 30

    That's where the 360 degree class 1's have that little advantage.
If you
  use the "fire in rear arc when you don't use the engines" rule, you
can just
  not use any thrust in the attack turn.  Then you can overrun them by
12 mu or
  less and still fire.	It gives the class 1's a *much* larger area that
they
  can fire through.  Still takes some timing, but it does tend to lessen
the
  problem.  The salvo missiles also make it much harder for your
opponent to
  find a completely safe pass.

> At least in Cinematic, that's a pretty even battle

    Hmm, I wonder.  Definitely interesting to try out a few times, but
not
  fun on a steady diet I would think.  :-)

   grant

Prev: Re: Fighter Defenses was Re: Full Thrust vs Starmada Next: Re: Fighters....Re: Full Thrust vs Starmada