Prev: Re: Fighters....Re: Full Thrust vs Starmada Next: Re: Full Thrust vs Starmada

RE: Fighters....Re: Full Thrust vs Starmada

From: Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 18:04:30 +0200
Subject: RE: Fighters....Re: Full Thrust vs Starmada

Binhan Lin wrote:

 >The problem with point systems is that they are too abstracted.
 >
 >For instance, how does range factor into a game?

This depends on the movement system used. In order to factor it in
correctly you fight a large number of playtest battles between a large
number of different fleets, and record how much damage each class of
weapon
inflicted in the various range bands. Doing this will give you a pretty
good picture of how the range affects a weapon's combat value.

 >Are short ranged weapons as effective as long ranged weapons?

No, since the ships carrying them will almost invariably have taken
damage
from the enemy's long-ranged weapons before the short-ranged weapons
come
into play.

 >Damage vs. shielded or non-shielded targets?

Look at the proportion of shielded vs non-shielded targets in use in as
many different gaming groups as you can, then calculate the average.
(OK,
you have to weight it with the number of damage points each ship has too
-
ie., a ship with 100 damage points counts ten times more than one with
10
damage points.)

...and so on.

The basic answer to all of Binhan's questions is really "PLAYTEST".
Ideally, don't just use one or two playtesters playing one or two
battles
each, but scores of playtesters playing scores of battles each.

(Make sure though that you take careful and detailed notes about exactly

what happened during the games, so you can figure out which game
mechanics
had what effects - it is *extremely* easy to blame your loss on one
particular new weapon used by the enemy, only for the post-battle
analysis
of the data to show that you lost because the enemy was able to park in
your (A) arc where you couldn't shoot back at him...)

***
In another post, Binhan Lin wrote:

 >The basic system needs revision as it seems very odd that a PDS system

that >can knock down up to 6 high-velocity missiles, can only take out
1-2
fighters.

Say again? A PDS is just as capable of taking out 6 non-heavy *fighters*
as
it is to take out 6 *missiles* - it gets exactly the same rerolls
against
both types.

Grant replied:

 >Why do pds shoot down the same number of fighters per turn if 12 are
 >attacking versus if 48 are attacking?

For the same reason why your Class-3 Beam Battery is only able to shoot
at
one single target per turn no matter how many targets it has available
shoot at and no matter how many FCSs you have on your ship. If you PSB
the
one, you can apply exactly the same PSB to the other.

***

and morp wrote:

 >in my group we're playing with logically build forces and
 >litterally eradicate (physically if needed :) every
 >munchkin attempt ! (ie we play by the spirit not by the rule)

In other words, David and morp would both flatly refuse to play against
someone who brought, say, a canonically correct BattleStar Galactica
force
to the game. Or, for that matter, a Raider battlegroup out of the
Babylon 5
universe, or most Star Wars forces, or...

David and morp, please tell me one thing: how can Full Thrust claim to
be a
"generic" space combat system if you can't use forces from these quite
popular SF backgrounds without being accused of being a "munchkin"?

Regards,

Oerjan
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
-Hen3ry

Prev: Re: Fighters....Re: Full Thrust vs Starmada Next: Re: Full Thrust vs Starmada