Prev: RE: Fighters....Re: Full Thrust vs Starmada Next: Re: Fighters....Re: Full Thrust vs Starmada

Re: Full Thrust vs Starmada

From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@q...>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 18:07:13 -0400
Subject: Re: Full Thrust vs Starmada

> >So, part of the problem as I've been reading it is that a large
number of
> >fighter groups can overwhelm the PDS and take out even a fairly
powerful
> >ship.  So, what if each fighter group was engaged by EACH PDS on
the ship,
> >and each attacked individually?

There are two problems with this.
First is that you have to get the PDS v fighters balance right.  This
is trickier than it would at first appear, partly because PDS are so
cheap in terms of mass--you can easily load up on them and could
potentially render yourself invulnerable to fighters (and missiles).
This means they need to have some kind of diminishing returns, so that
2 PDS is not worth 2 x 1 PDS.  I think it's possible to find a balance
but others disagree.

Second is that it takes a while to resolve each PDS attack, and much
longer if you're doing the "diminishing returns" route.

Prev: RE: Fighters....Re: Full Thrust vs Starmada Next: Re: Fighters....Re: Full Thrust vs Starmada