Prev: Re: [OT] Hideously so Re: [OFFICIAL] New ESU ships: NAMING HELP REQUEST! Next: NI painting advice sought

Re: Bases

From: Jim Bell <jn.bell@s...>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 15:34:25 -0400
Subject: Re: Bases

The hex base is the standard black plastic base (which I use now only
for fighters) and the Evil Empires round clear base. My collection of
ships started with a large number of Silent Death miniatures and I found

that some of those miniatures fell on a regular basis if the table
happened to get bumped. Putting the same miniatures on the clear plastic

round base eliminated the problem for me. Which is the basis for my
preference of round bases if Jon is going to start production.

As to the relative sizes of the two bases the Evil Empires base with the

long post is taller than the standard hex base. The diameter of the Evil

Empires base is only slightly larger than the standard hex base (less
than a 1/16" point to point).

I was comparing as close to apples to apples when I made my decision
that round bases were more stable than the hex bases. The former round
metal Geo-Hex bases with 12 ticks which were exactly the same diameter
as the Evil Empires base were even more to my liking as they placed more

weight low in the base. That is what I would like to use as my standard
base for most cruisers and possibly as high as BBs. For the larger
miniatures at present I use the larger Evil Empires round base but again

I would prefer a round metal base with 12 ticks of about the same
diameter.

I have superdread's from the Galactic Knights line that I have yet to
base just due to the fact that I don't have bases that I believe is up
to the job for those monsters. Though for those miniatures it is as much

about the post thickness as the base diameter. I mounted one on the old
Evil Empires Gothic bases from the early 90's, more of a square base
with the corners cut short with a 1/4" post. The shape of the base is
not the best for use in FT though. To be honest I'd really like to see
three different diameter bases	1 1/4" (old Geo-Hex metal base), 1 3/4"
(not presently available) and 2 3/8" (Evil Empires large base).

Hope this information helps Oerjan.

Jim