Prev: Re: New ships! Next: Re: New ships!

Re: New ships!

From: "Phillip Atcliffe" <atcliffe@p...>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 17:48:16 +0100
Subject: Re: New ships!

Oerjan wrote:
> But what about the FT921 OU Heavy Fighters? *Are* you going to get
them from Nic[?] <

Hope so.

> FWIW the new OU CVL has the same configuration (single outrigger) and
dimensions as the Eureka one but (somewhat) different surface detail;
the BC and BB OTOH are trimarans. <

That sounds great.

> It would be possible to make a mirror image of the CVL's hangar pod to
make a BB-sized trimaran carrier... but that'd take even more time, and
it'd *still* be smaller than the CVLs of other fleets, so I'm not really
sure that it'd be worthwhile. <

Smaller, but not necessarily smaller in terms of punch. Frankly, the
CVLs of the major powers are rather overly large for what they carry.
The NAC's Invincible class is a good example; I refuse to believe that
the contents of the command pod of an Ark Royal takes up _that_ much
space in that big hull! Let the OU design philosophy be small, fast,
flexible hulls that carry adequate to heavy weapons loads.

> It'd require that the OUDF is rich enough to afford warships that
large (not to mention capable of building them), too :-/ <

And what makes you think it's not? Hey, if the Japanese and the
srizonified FCT can have entire bl**dy fleets, the OU deserves one!

<mutter>"Northern Hemisphere Chauvinists... Texans... enema...
matchbox!"</mutter>

Annoyed Phil, who'll award a Trivia Prize to anyone who can identify the
joke he was just muttering.
----
"If you let a smile be your umbrella... you'll get wet teeth!"
  -- a forgotten comedian, quoted by me: Phil Atcliffe
(atcliffe@perdicas.fsnet.co.uk)

Prev: Re: New ships! Next: Re: New ships!