Prev: Re: [SG2} House Rules for Fire Team Units Next: Re: More Stargrunt-SL (was Re: SG2tweaks)

Re: Traveller + SG2/DS2/?

From: Allan Goodall <agoodall@a...>
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 08:57:51 -0500
Subject: Re: Traveller + SG2/DS2/?

The GZG Digest wrote on 4/7/2005 1:00 AM:
> Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 10:22:29 -0400
> From: "laserlight@quixnet.net" <laserlight@quixnet.net>
>
> I kind of concur but I'm not clear on how you see this working.
> Let's say you have 3 teams of 3 men.	Team A and B lose 2 each, Team C
> loses 1.  This means that A and B test for >50% twice (once for the
team,
> again for the squad) and C tests once (for the squad only).  Is this
what
> you have in mind?

Not quite. The number of tests depends on the order in which the men
were lost, and I would probably forgo the "squad lost half its men" test

if a fire team lost half its men.

Here's an example without that last caveat, and using your squad of 3
teams of 3 men.

1. Team A loses 2 men during an enemy activation. The other teams have
taken no casualties. Team A makes a Confidence Test based on losing half

their team (as per my house rules this would be a TL 4/2/1 test;
according to the RAW it would only be a 2/1/NTR test since the fire team

had not lost more troopers in one attack than the squad had left).

Team B and Team C would not make a test.

2. Team B loses two men during another enemy activation. The squad would

take the same test as Team A.

3. Team C loses one man during a third enemy activation. They would make

a test for having lost a single figure. This would be a 2/1/NTR test.
Each team, Team A, Team B, and Team C would then have to test for the
_squad_ being down to half strength or less.

To simplify things, we can say that a squad only makes a single
Confidence Test as a result of a single attack that causes casualties.
The test would be the worst of all possible tests. So, if a fire team
took a single casualty and that brought the squad to half strength, the
"squad at half strength" test would apply. Here's how it would work:

1. Team A loses 2 men during an enemy activation. They make a confidence

test, as above.

2. Team B loses 2 men during an enemy activation. They make a confidence

test, as above.

3. Team C loses 1 man during an enemy activation. This puts the squad at

half strength. Since the "squad is at half strength or less" Confidence
Test is worse than the "lose a single man" Confidence Test, the fire
team would only roll once, for the squad being at half strength. Team A
and Team B would also have to make the same test.

Here's another example. All three fire teams are within the blast area
of an artillery attack. Team A loses 2 men, Team B loses 2 men, and Team

C loses 1 man. This brings the squad to half strength, so each fire team

would make a Confidence Test based on the squad being at half strength.

Here's a third example. All three fire teams are within the blast area
of an artillery attack. Team A loses 2 men, Team B loses 1 man, and Team

C loses 1 man. This does _not_ bring the squad to half strength. Using
my rules, Fire Team A would make a 4/2/1 Confidence Test (with a
+2/+1/+0 modifier for being under artillery attack). Using the RAW, Fire

Team A would make a 2/1/NTR test with the same modifier. In either case,

Fire Team B and Fire Team C would make 2/1/NTR tests.

Allan

--

Allan Goodall	    http://www.hyperbear.com
agoodall@att.net    agoodall@hyperbear.com

Prev: Re: [SG2} House Rules for Fire Team Units Next: Re: More Stargrunt-SL (was Re: SG2tweaks)