Prev: RE: OT: A bit of ECC Humor Next: Re: Traveller + SG2/DS2/?

Re: Traveller + SG2/DS2/?

From: Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2005 20:30:02 +0200
Subject: Re: Traveller + SG2/DS2/?

Just a couple of comments to Allan's posts:

 >Finally, one thing Oerjan really would like to see modeled isn't so
much
 >a vehicle's top speed but it's acceleration. He points out that this
is
 >actually more important in combat situations.

On the StarGrunt timescale, at least. In DirtSide OTOH I'd rate the
speed
as more important, since the DS game turn represents a much longer
period
of time.

Note that what TomB refers to as "sprint speed" is basically the same as

what I and Allan were talking about when we discussed "acceleration" -
ie.,
the time it takes to start at stand-still at point A, get up to speed,
move
to a nearby point B and come to a full stop again. For short sprints the

vehicle usually won't reach its top speed before it has to slow down
again,
so acceleration rate is all-important for determining how far and fast
the
vehicle can sprint; but since we really don't want to track the
vehicle's
current speed all the time it is easier to use a "sprint speed" rating
instead of an explicit "acceleration" rating.

 >I may have it backwards,
 >but I think he said the Merkava has a lower top speed than the Abrams
 >but the Merkava has faster acceleration,

Same accel, not higher. Depends on what mark of Merkava you're looking
at,
of course - the earlier ones were a bit underpowered, giving the
Merkavas a
reputation for sluggishness.

Also, the top speed depends on the terrain. The Abrams is faster than
the
Merkava over *flat* terrain, but in *rough* terrain the Merkava is
faster
due to its more advanced suspension... when the ride is bumpy, the main
limitation on combat vehicle speeds is how fast you can drive without
bashing the crew to bits :-/

Finally, a comment for Infojunky: There aren't that many pure infantry
military actions left nowadays, unless you look at conflicts like the
Afghani civil war prior to US involvement or the war between Eritrea and

Ethiopia. As soon as any western power gets involved, even small-scale
actions in close urban terrain tend to involve armoured (or at least
protected) vehicles - and in wartime, these vehicles are very rarely
limited to the speed of crawling grunts. Police work during (nominal)
peacetime in (supposedly) friendly areas could easily be different, of
course; since so few police forces use our products I tend to see a lot
more military AARs than police ones.

Later,

Oerjan
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
-Hen3ry

Prev: RE: OT: A bit of ECC Humor Next: Re: Traveller + SG2/DS2/?