Prev: Re: Traveller + SG2/DS2/? Next: Re: Traveller + SG2/DS2/?

SG2 Ideas.

From: Infojunky <infojunky@c...>
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2005 08:27:31 +0100
Subject: SG2 Ideas.

Thomas Barclay wrote:

> Some points to consider, though I agree with most of Allan's points.
>
> 1. Modern MBTs, accoring to OO the mighty, have about 10:2:1 (front,
sides, back) (or
> something like that if I got the side number wrong) for armour. They
are not even close to
> equally armoured. There is currently no way to build such a vehicle.

Can you say Ogre?

> 2. Top attack isn't the only threat. People can build side attack
missiles and other
> options as well. Probably rear-attack too if they work at it. Perhaps
depending on missile
> tech, the attacker should be able to pick facing to hit.

Ok, Now I will have to chew that one.

> 5. SG2 vehicle movement is wrong also on the tactical scale. A modern
MBT can probably hit
> over 30 mph, maybe even faster yet. Sure, it might be that an average
speed might be 2.4
> kph. But SG2 is *almost* wysiwig. If I need to drive between two
buildings or between a
> hill and a copse of trees, I'm *NOT* doing it at an average speed! I'm
going hell bent for
> leather to get back behind an alternate set of cover. How does a
vehicle average a slow
> tactical speed? It does so by spending a lot of terms sitting,
spotting, and shooting or
> just plain waiting. But when it moves, unless it is *directly* with
infantry, it will
> probably be moving at least half of its maximum speed. I watched a lot
of fights in the
> gulf war and in Iraq involving AFVs, and a lot of times, they moved
quite snappily. Not
> 2.4 kph!

Look at the Differental crew action I dea that I shot out at Goodall.

> There is also no way in the game to distinguish an RFAC/1 in its
various possible formats
> - that is to say, a 25mm Bushmaster (where you can actually hear each
individual shot) or
> a 20mm Vulcan ADS/PDS/CIWS weapon (where it sounds like a chainsaw).

Yes, BTW I always liken the sound of the 20mm to the sound of a mill saw

going through thick oak.

> And Allan is also right that the representation of MMGs, HMGs and
various sustained fire
> automatic weapons is inadequate. A squad SAW (say a minimi) is not the
same as an M2HB .50
> nor is that the same as an AGS-17 nor a DShK nor even a water cooled
Vickers gun with a
> large ammo supply. The SAW in the game is meant to be man portable,
with associated weight
> and ammo limits.

Yes there seems to be a missing intermead ate step.

--
Evyn

"Scientia Est Potentia"

http://ceecom.net

Prev: Re: Traveller + SG2/DS2/? Next: Re: Traveller + SG2/DS2/?