Prev: RE: Greatest. Gaming. Table. Ever. Next: RE: [FH] Breaking News - Editoral note

Re: Greatest. Gaming. Table. Ever.

From: Alan and Carmel Brain <aebrain@w...>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 16:16:09 +1100
Subject: Re: Greatest. Gaming. Table. Ever.

CS Renegade wrote:

> Put the projector _under_ the table and back-
> project onto a glass surface. Use periscope
> methods to fold the beam if necessary.

Bleah.

Seriously Bleah.

OK for use for a few hours at a time, but don't expect a long life from
the light valve. Other technology might work, but costs.

Sorry, I was involved with this type of stuff for military purposes
nearly 20 years ago now. The technology has changed and gotten a lot
better, and the prices are 1/100 of what they used to be, with
reliability better by a factor of 100 too. Also, wargames don't have the

usual military requirements about shock resistance, ability to work at
60C and -10C, insensitivity to vibration etc.

Still not ready for prime time.

To get sufficient lumens in a normally illuminated room, and not have
huge heat dissipation problems is tricky. The problems can be solved -
at a a price. The price either being in $ or reliability.

OTOH ordinary, cheap ( < $2000 ) commercial projectors are great for
some wargaming applications, from First-Person tank simulators to
Screens on the USS Enterprise (see "Bridge Crew" the shareware network
game).

--
Alan & Carmel Brain
http://aebrain.blogspot.com

Prev: RE: Greatest. Gaming. Table. Ever. Next: RE: [FH] Breaking News - Editoral note