Prev: Re: GZG8 Photos posted Next: Re: [VV] Agility

Re: [VV] Agility

From: Nyrath the nearly wise <nyrathwiz@c...>
Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2005 10:45:56 -0500
Subject: Re: [VV] Agility

John Atkinson wrote:
> I'm not sure precisely what you mean?  Why would a ship be clumsy in a
> hard vacuum?	How would a ship be agile?  I understand what you want
> in game terms, but I don't understand what it means in real-world
> terms?

	Well, it is unclear if it means anything in real-world terms.
	The way I understand it, an attempt is being made to
	make an analogy between WWI destroyers and battleships
	and hypothetical starships.

	In WWI, destroyers were more agile than battleships
	because they had less weight.  This was done by
	the simple expedient of having no armor.

	Now, if an interplanetary ship:
	[a] uses rockets for propulsion
	[b] relies upon armor that masses a significant
	fraction of the total mass of the ship

	the agile analogy might hold.

	But if either or both conditions are *not* true,
	the analogy will not hold.

	http://www.projectrho.com/rocket/rocket3t.html#shipgrid

Prev: Re: GZG8 Photos posted Next: Re: [VV] Agility