Prev: Re: The GZG ECC 8 Quote Board Next: Re: [CON] Weight Of Command Planning Board made public...

Ground Zero Games Convention/Interesting game construct

From: "Pournelle, Phillip P LCDR N816B1/N00X6B1" <phillip.pournelle@n...>
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 07:40:24 -0500
Subject: Ground Zero Games Convention/Interesting game construct

Hello,
	I had a wonderful time on Saturday at the Ground Zero Games
Convention on Saturday in Lancaster, PA.  Games included several Full
Thrust games (including my Star Wars game), Dirtside II and StarGrunt (I
ran another Star Wars based SG game).
	The best event by far was the Burden of Command game where there
were two tactical level StarGrunt Scenarios that were related to each
other but on two different tables with a Command element in another
room.  The Command element gained situational awareness based only on
radio calls from the leaders of the two teams, periodic photos from
drones and satellite (done by Digital Camera) or if they got on a VTOL
and flew out to the scene, thus losing inputs from higher echelons and
special sources.
	The referees did a great job in both playing the bad guys and
facilitating the game.	They clearly had thought out the game and play
tested it.  Everyone had a great job.  There was a 4:1 ratio between
players and referees.  I don't know how many confederates they used.
	I've always wanted to run a series of games where a Full Thrust
game covered fleet action with a follow on amphibious assault.	This
would lead to a DirtSide II Battalion scale assault supported by Orbital
Bombardment.  In turn this would lead to a StarGrunt game at the
Platoon/Company level in a city where a force is attempting to capture
the terminal objective.  I think these can be done in serial.  Doing it
in parallel with the Burden of Command split scene might be fun or just
a complete disaster.
	Phil Pournelle

Prev: Re: The GZG ECC 8 Quote Board Next: Re: [CON] Weight Of Command Planning Board made public...