Prev: Re: test Next: Re: [OT]Opera

Re: [OT]Opera

From: Alan and Carmel Brain <aebrain@w...>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 12:18:40 +1100
Subject: Re: [OT]Opera

Allan Goodall wrote:

> I downloaded Opera, but I haven't done much with it. Opera displays
> and since I have low bandwidth at home it's a non-starter for me.

The reason I switched back to Opera after using Firefox was because the
bandwidth was so much *less* with Opera. If I can figure out a way of
stopping Firefox from re-trying and refreshing so often, I may switch
back.

But it was (literally) doubling my data downloaded, and costing me $$$
in extra bandwidth.

Pros/Cons:
IE : Some sites require IE, eg MSNBC, MS update to patch windows, so IE
is compulsory. I never use it for anything else though, it's insecure
crap.

Firefox: Doesn't handle some backgrounds well, rendering them as black.
Bummer if the text is also black. Periodic crashes when memory gets
tight. Eats bandwidth due to refreshing. Otherwise the best behaved of
all browsers, I use it whenever filling out forms (as in many logins).

Opera: Doesn't handle some CSS very nicely, but worse, doesn't handle
some GET form data in ways that MS server side can understand. Periodic
  screen corruption when memory gets tight. Otherwise the fastest of the

3, and the "restart from where you left off" feature is great.

--
Alan & Carmel Brain
http://aebrain.blogspot.com

Prev: Re: test Next: Re: [OT]Opera