Prev: Re: [OT]Wither Canada? And Australias Abrahms Next: Re: [OT]Wither Canada? And Australias Abrahms

Re: [OT]Wither Canada? And Australias Abrahms

From: Warbeads@a...
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2005 21:47:06 EST
Subject: Re: [OT]Wither Canada? And Australias Abrahms

laranzu@ozemail.com.au writes:

On the other hand, the United States is the only  country
that *could* launch any kind of serious invasion of us
this  decade. And if the US did decide to invade, the kind
of tank we had	wouldn't make much difference. So if our
army buying the Abrams makes us  popular with the US,
we're decreasing the risk of invasion  :-)

cheers,
Hugh

Actually it's logistically a nightmare unless your subs  (unclassified
reports can neither be confirmed or denied) are completely  accounted
for -- as in
sunk.  And that assumes that your Air Force was  completely neutralized
by
Naval Air plus long range USAF assets.	And that  the amount of troops
needed to
subdue the military (although hunting  down your snake-eaters would be a

nightmare) was available for the  duration.

Mostly though it would make no sense for the USA to attack  Australia.
The
geopolitical realities make such a scenario at least 100%  laughable.
Who
would be our most dependable (and honest in council) Asian  Nation if we
broke
with Australia?  Singapore??  Too much tightrope  walking to let
themselves
become associated with any superpower outside the  region.  Taiwan???
Maybe in
their spare time they stop looking west  but right now they are the
'invisible'
nation to most countries.   Indonesia, ?!?!? HAH!  Certainly not
Malaysia even
with Dr. M out of  power.  Perhaps Japan? (Focused a lot on N. Korea and
PRC
understandably.)  Definitely not Vietnam (except maybe dealing with the
PRC
threat). Thailand - Too independent and unaligned by choice. Never mind
about
Cambodia, Laos, Burma or the minor states of Oceania.

Gracias,

Glenn  "warbeads"

Prev: Re: [OT]Wither Canada? And Australias Abrahms Next: Re: [OT]Wither Canada? And Australias Abrahms