Prev: Re: [OT]Wither Canada? And Australias Abrahms Next: Re: [OT] Tanks vs VTOLs

Re: Game balance (no longer really very VV-related)

From: J L Hilal <jlhilal@y...>
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2005 11:36:36 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Game balance (no longer really very VV-related)

--- Roger Burton West <roger@firedrake.org> wrote:

> So EPV ought, for maximum balance/diversity, to be defined as equal
> to SPV? (Which is itself probably some function of TPV

I don't think this would work out, because some items that increase
strategic value actually reduce tactical use.  e.g. If there is an
option to have differing FTL speeds based on size of FTL installation,
this will reduce TPV, as the larger FTL drive takes up mass otherwise
used for tactical systems, while the ability to move farther on the
campaign map increases the SPV.  Neither of these is involved with the
ability to produce the systems.  The same could be said of long range
sensing systems for scouts as well as other systems.  I would say that
they should be three seperate ratings, and the EPV would be
setting-specific.  Part of the game play enjoyment for me of a campaign
game is to balance the abilities of a unit between its use at the
tactical level, strategic level, and cost.

Prev: Re: [OT]Wither Canada? And Australias Abrahms Next: Re: [OT] Tanks vs VTOLs