Prev: Re: [OT]Wither Canada? And Australias Abrahms Next: Re: [OT] Tanks vs VTOLs

Re: [OT] Tanks vs VTOLs

From: J L Hilal <jlhilal@y...>
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2005 10:59:15 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: [OT] Tanks vs VTOLs

--- Beth.Fulton@csiro.au wrote:

> G'day again,
>
> One final question for the tank literate out there, in reading about
> the Leopard 2A6 I saw it can fire sabot rounds at helicopters. I'm
> assuming that most modern tanks can fire at helicopters right? I
> don't just mean missiles I mean direct fire of sabot rounds (or is
> that the same thing and I've got myself mixed up).

The US also has a top-attack 120mm round that has a secondary anti-helo
setting in which the round looks all around it rather than just down
and will fire a EFKP into the side/top/bottom of a target helocopter.
If you pay attention to TV shows about the Abrams from the last 5 years
or so, you can sometimes see the ammunition target selector as having 4
settings instead of 2: SABOT - STAFF GROUND - STAFF HELO - HEAT,
although they never mention it in the commentary.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/munitions/m943.htm

Prev: Re: [OT]Wither Canada? And Australias Abrahms Next: Re: [OT] Tanks vs VTOLs