Prev: [OT] FLQ (was Re: The GZG Digest V2 #2320) Next: Re: UNSC ships

RE: [VV] Organics and other flavoring - RE: [VV] Vectorverse -- Ok so far?

From: "laserlight@q..." <laserlight@quixnet.net>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 12:27:46 -0500
Subject: RE: [VV] Organics and other flavoring - RE: [VV] Vectorverse -- Ok so far?

Beth :-P disagreed:
>how long is it since they had a common base point to spring
from? I'd agree they're unlikely to be shockingly different (i.e. not
likely to be beyond "we could grow our own IR eyes too if we didn't
think it was an abomination") if the split was within a few 100 yrs and
it's a dusk rather than a night that has passed by, but if some of these
planets had many 100s of years of being "alone" (or with restricted
number of neighbour contacts a any rate) then there is a lot of
potential to have very different tech bases

I think if you have cultures A B C and D in contact with each other for
some hundreds of years and E not, then E is unlikely to be in the same
league with ABCD as far as tech level.	I suppose you could say that E
started off as relatively high tech and stagnated in isolation while
ABCD
caught up, if you really wanted to have this situation.

It's a little implausible to say "they made contact just at the same
time
that the tech levels got competitive", but someone who's looking for
living
starships isn't likely to be too worried about implausibility....

http://mail2web.com/ .

Prev: [OT] FLQ (was Re: The GZG Digest V2 #2320) Next: Re: UNSC ships