Prev: Re: [VV] Vectorverse FTL Next: Re: [VV] Vectorverse FTL

[VVerse] Warp point assaults/Fixed vs Mobile Defenses

From: Michael Riddle <mriddle@c...>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2005 17:07:47 -0500
Subject: [VVerse] Warp point assaults/Fixed vs Mobile Defenses

The problem with fixed defenses is that (assuming attacker's knowledge
of the defenses.) the attacker has more time to solve the problem of
attacking..
The defender has a fixed amount of time to design his defenses (because
he has to build them), but the attacker can plan until he comes up with
a solution (and possibly even change his force structure...  And once
the defender has invested X amount of resources in the fixed defenses,
he can not easily reallocate them to other tasks
Mobile defenses increases the number of problems the attacker has to
solve ( possible permuations), and makes recon much harder,

I think back to the Bar Lev line in 73 Arab/Isreali war..  The line was
never intended to stop the Egyptians, just that it was supposed to slow
them down enough (48 hours) to let Isrealis reinforce.. But because the
attacker's knew the what the defenses were (huge sand berms), they could

PLAN and solve the problem (which was using water houses...)

Most SF downplay fixed defenses due to ballistic missile/Knetic
attacks.. It is normal (in the SF arena) that most weapons have far
longer ranges than fire control range..  ie ships/tanks etc engagement
range is based on fire-control range not on the absolute range of the
weapon, but a fixed ( non-manuvering) target makes the fire control
problem much easier (ie allowing for longer ranged fire) (ie I KNOW
where you will be in 1 hour, I do not have to use "smart/targeted"
weapons) ..

Mike

Prev: Re: [VV] Vectorverse FTL Next: Re: [VV] Vectorverse FTL