Prev: questions on BETA fighter rules Next: Re: questions on BETA fighter rules

Re: [VV] Vectorverse FTL

From: Allan Goodall <agoodall@a...>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 17:35:32 -0600
Subject: Re: [VV] Vectorverse FTL

The GZG Digest wrote:

> Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 16:04:33 -0500 (EST)
> From: "Grant A. Ladue" <ladue@cse.Buffalo.EDU>

>  Hmm, what happens when a bubble hits an object?

That I don't know, though I have some ideas based on the fact that it's
warping space time around itself. I think outside objects would travel
"around" the outer edge of the bubble. The bubble would go through the
object without the object even noticing. If that's the case, then
presumably light would go around it and the bubble would be invisible
(and would look like a totally black sphere to the object in the
bubble). Invisible, but blind, transit.

>  I'm thinking that you could
>  put an ftl generator in an asteroid, aim it at the other guy's
planet, and
>  bubble away.  Worst case scenario: the other guys can make huge rocks
moving
>  at significant "normal" speeds pop out of the bubble just outside of
your
>  planet's atmosphere.  Nasty!

That can't happen unless the bubble gate was going at some high
velocity. I got the impression that it took some time to make the
bubble, that bubble creation was not instantaneous and limited in size.
In essence, the rock would have to sit there for a minute while you
created the bubble. Therefore, it would have zero velocity leaving the
bubble... relative, I would assume, to the bubble gate. If you moved the

entire gate at a good clip you could send bubble-wrapped (*grin*) rocks
at high speeds.

Allan

--

Allan Goodall	    http://www.hyperbear.com
agoodall@att.net    agoodall@hyperbear.com

Prev: questions on BETA fighter rules Next: Re: questions on BETA fighter rules