Prev: Re: [VV} FTL discussion was RE: [VV] Vectorverse Next: Re: [VV] Vectorverse FTL

Re: [VV] Vectorverse FTL

From: Ian Downing <iandowning112@y...>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 21:21:51 +0000 (GMT)
Subject: Re: [VV] Vectorverse FTL

For those of you considering wormholes/jumpgates, it sound very much
like warp points from Starfire. If you want some examples of warp point
assaults/defence read Steve Walmsley's Rigellian Empire Diary at
http://www.starfireassistant.com/ Download Diary.

The difference between FT & Starfire is that in FT you have a more or
less static tech base, while in Starfire you are always clawing up the
Tech levels so you can counter the nearly perfect defence with a more
advanced offence. FT gives you a snapshot of the protagonists Tech at
one particular instant in time.

Thats my tuppence worth
Regards
Ian

> Fixed defenses only work when the
> situation forces the other guys to risk very high value units to bust
them
> up, and I don't see that here. In reality, the best "defense" for a
gate
> would be to keep launching your own missiles through to break up the
> attacker's forces before they even reach the gate.

Which ignores the typical countermeasures you'd have. If you have
fixed bases (orbital platforms on the other side) you could easily
add in lots of PDS, sand casters and jamming systems to deal with
small craft coming through the gate. Plenty of beams and other
weapons focused on the crossing point would make it very hazardous to
come through. The first ships through would be very short lived once
they transition. They get a few shots off and then they die.

- Data Center Operations Group -
- http://web.turner.com/data_center/ -
- Ryan Montieth Gill One CNN Center SE0813 E -
- Internet Technologies -- Data Center Operations Manager -
- Hours 11am - 7pm Mon - Fri (8Sdc, 10Sdc IT@3Ndc) -
- Cellular: 404-545-6205 e-mail: Ryan.Gill@cnn.com -
- Office: 404-588-6191 -
- Emergency Power-off != Door release! -

Prev: Re: [VV} FTL discussion was RE: [VV] Vectorverse Next: Re: [VV] Vectorverse FTL