Prev: Re: [VV] Vectorverse FTL Next: Re: [VV] Vectorverse FTL

Re: [VV] Vectorverse FTL

From: "Grant A. Ladue" <ladue@c...>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 14:58:34 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: [VV] Vectorverse FTL

> On Monday 31 January 2005 18:35, Ryan Gill wrote:
> > At 12:36 PM -0500 1/31/05, Grant A. Ladue wrote:
> > >	  The Bospherous (sp?) or Gibralter were pains *for the
technology of
> > > the time*.  Right now, we'd just pound them day and night with
cruise
> > > missile attacks until a manned force could just walk right in.
> >
> > That ignores that they don't have their own systems for similar
defense.

> Lots of ADAF around the gate exit to take out the missiles. Missiles
> of your own to send back through the gate looking for whatever is
> throwing the missiles your way.

   And what do you do when the first weapon through the gate is a Nova
Cannon
 shot (or some equivalent)?

   I'm not saying that a fixed defense is completely impossible.  I'm
just
 saying that it's probably so wildly expensive, even around a fixed
point like
 a gate opening, that's you're not likely to see too much of them.  In
modern
 warfare, the best defense you have is mobility.  Once you're fixed in
place,
 it's only a matter of time before the other side can assemble enough to

 overwhelm you.  If it was me, I'd limit the defenses around a gate to a
few
 class 3 batteries and some salvo missile racks, and get down to the
fleet vs.
 fleet battles right away.

   grant

Prev: Re: [VV] Vectorverse FTL Next: Re: [VV] Vectorverse FTL