Prev: Re: FT in centimeter scale? Next: Re: FT in centimeter scale?

Re: FT in centimeter scale?

From: Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 18:09:53 +0100
Subject: Re: FT in centimeter scale?

Mark Drake wrote:

>Am looking to try playing FT in cm scale--what pitfalls do I need to
watch
>out for when using centimeters??

* Distance between ships. With normal hex bases two ships in
base-to-base
contact are now roughly 3mu apart instead of roughly 1mu, so if you used
fly in tight ADFC phalanxes they may turn out to be somewhat less tight
:-/

* Acceleration is different. If your ships are moving as long absolute
on-table distances as they use to do in inch scale, their speed in
mu/turn
is now 2.5 times higher - which means that it'll take you 2.5 times
longer
to slow them down.

* Don't trust your eye-ball estimates of weapon ranges etc. - what used
be close range (12") is suddenly the farthest P-torp range band (30cm).
This also affects missiles and plasma bolts.

All in all

***
Doug wrote:

>I personally think it's a little inappropriate on 'normal' tables as
many
>limited range items,
>particularly weopens, and cinematic manuvering, change in effect at the

>high velocities possible,

Inappropriate? The effect of the changes you mention is to bring the
short-ranged, high-powered weapons back *in line* with the longer-ranged

weapons - the short-ranged ones are overpowered when there's little or
no
scope for manoeuvring outside their range...

Later,

Oerjan
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
-Hen3ry

Prev: Re: FT in centimeter scale? Next: Re: FT in centimeter scale?