Prev: Re: NAC - American style [LONG] contin... Next: (FT)Canna get the archives to divulge this...

Re: Armour and Cover Answer

From: J L Hilal <jlhilal@y...>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 09:47:14 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Armour and Cover Answer

--- Allan Goodall <agoodall@att.net> wrote:

> On 11 Jan 2005 at 23:00, The GZG Digest wrote:

> Soft cover makes it harder to see the target's outline, which
> makes it less likely for a shooter to deliberately hit a vital
> area. The only way you can make it less likely to kill a figure
> after it's hit is to shift that figure's armour die.

This is not entirely correct in a large view.  The shift to the Range
Die affects the number of casualties taken by the target unit.
Example:
A unit receives effective fire in the 1st range band which rolls of 5,
7, and 8; totaling 20.
In the open they receive 5 hits
IP they receive 3.33 hits
Soft cover they receive 3.33 hits
IP + soft cover they receive 2.5 hits
Hard cover they receive 2.5 hits
IP + hard cover they receive 2 hits

> I mentioned a while back that cover should probably be rated
> with independent to Range Die and Armour Die modifiers. A huge
> curtain of opaque felt, for instance, should probably give a two die
> shift to hit (you can't see what's behind it, and it muffles sound)
> but no die shift for to the armour die. I wouldn't mind coming up
> with a list of common cover types and their ratings. It would make a
> good house rule.

We divide features into Concealment and Cover:
Partial Concealment = 1 range die shift, no armor shift
Full Concealment = 2 range die shifts, no armor shift
Partial Light Cover = 1 range die shift, 1 armor die shift
Full Light Cover = 2 range die shifts, 1 armor die shift
Partial Hard Cover = 1 range die shift, 2 armor die shifts
Full Hard Cover = 2 range die shifts, 2 armor die shifts

Concealment is something that will not affect the passage of high
velocity rounds (like bushes, thin walls, small trees, etc.)
Light cover gives some protection against highvelocity rounds (like
single or double brick walls, medium trees, Pvt. Luckless, etc.)
Hard cover gives good protection against high velocity rounds (like
double concrete block walls, meter-thick trees, etc.)

> I always thought that PA was sort of wimpy in SG2. A guy with a
> flintlock pistol has a finite chance of killing a guy in PA. There's
> a 10.42% chance of wounding or killing a guy in PA with a D4 impact
> weapon (taking into account Impact versus Armour, and the automatic
> wound recovery roll  made by the PA figure). That seems kind of high
> to me.

I also believe that the RAW SG2 PA is wimpy.  We give unpowered armor
the full d4-d12 range and make PA class 2 personal armor, thus

Light PA = PA:d8
Medium PA = PA:d10
Heavy PA = PA:D12

Against small arms that do NOT have a * impact (e.g. I:d10), PA gets a
x2 armor roll multiplier.
Against small arms that have a * impact (e.g. I:d10*), PA gets a x1
armor roll multiplier.
Against heavy weapons, PA can be targeted as a dispersed target with
armor as above or a single trooper can be targeed as a size 0.5 Point
Target with a x1 armor roll multiplier.

Prev: Re: NAC - American style [LONG] contin... Next: (FT)Canna get the archives to divulge this...