Prev: RE: [CON] ECC VIII Next: Re: [CON] ECC VIII

Re: Indy's Civilian Ship Names - constructive criticism

From: Dances With Rocks <kochte@s...>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 08:32:39 -0500
Subject: Re: Indy's Civilian Ship Names - constructive criticism

http://www.bcpl.net/~indy/full-thrust/civie_roster.html
> - I haven't gone through the whole list archive yet, but here are my
> comments on this...
>
> The names for science/survey vessels are SPOT ON.  The names for
> freighters & liners would be embarrassing if spray-painted across the
> side of a van or a monster truck.  If someone is going to trust
delivery
> of their cargo across interstellar distances, it doesn't help if the
> ship intrusted is named "Puppies On Acid."
>
> Allow me to provide you with some realistic sounding nomenclature for
> civilian ships...
[...]
> I invite your comments - and yours, Indy.

Hi, John,

What got me started on ship names for civie ships was some years ago
when I was in the Baltimore Harbor watching frieghters ply to and fro.
One caught my eye, and I saw the name was "Asphalt Victory". I thought
that a very odd name for a ship, but from that point on I started going
out and trying to collect names from real ships. Since I couldn't get
too many over time, I started doing some heavy internet searches of
ship registries and databases. A number of the names on the list came
from that, or are slight variants on the original name (I kept "Asphalt
Victory" as the one which started it all :-). From there I turned to
song titles and I.M.Banks (as Brian noted ;-) for more ship names.

If people have more ship names they'd like me to "register" on this
page, I'm all for it!

Mk

ps: happy new year all!

Prev: RE: [CON] ECC VIII Next: Re: [CON] ECC VIII