Prev: Last minute holiday cheer... Next: Re: [CON] ECC VIII

Re: Indy's Civilian Ship Names - constructive criticism

From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@q...>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 01:08:16 -0500
Subject: Re: Indy's Civilian Ship Names - constructive criticism

From: "John Brewer" <JBrewer@webtv.net>

> The names for freighters & liners would be embarrassing if
spray-painted across the
> side of a van or a monster truck.  If someone is going to trust
delivery
> of their cargo across interstellar distances, it doesn't help if the
> ship is named "Puppies On Acid."

Some companies will undoubtedly have traditions like the ones John
mentioned; on the other hand, it's entirely possible that other
companies will have different traditions, just to show that they're
innovative; or the official name might be something boring and the
"name" is just the crew's irreverent nickname.
When I arrange for freight to come from England, I don't know the name
of the ship until the freight company tells me, and I don't really
care if it's _Cosco Norfolk_ (which it was, this last one) or _Puppies
on Acid_ as long as it arrives on time (which it didn't).

Prev: Last minute holiday cheer... Next: Re: [CON] ECC VIII