Prev: Re: [CON] ECC VIII Next: Re: HTML

RE: hey all, just a quick question on area defense fire control.. ...

From: Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 10:09:03 +0100
Subject: RE: hey all, just a quick question on area defense fire control.. ...

Thomas Westbrook wrote:

>>The 'one other ship' may not be the problem.
>> From the limited statements provided, I think
>>that the people that Thomas plays with have
>>allowed the ADFC ship to fire all six PDS
>>at any and all attacking targets.
>
>That's how we have interpreted it.

Quoting the rules (FB1 p.7), capitalizing one word for emphasis:

"Each Point Defence System (PDS) on a ship may fire ONCE per turn, ..."

For a PDS to fire at *two* different targets (fighter groups/MT
missiles/missile salvoes/plasma bolts/AMTs/ships) in the same turn, it
would have to fire *twice* that turn. It can only fire *once* per turn,
thus it can only fire at *one* target per turn

>Also, I've played where other players have used the "I'm not attacking/

>not a threat, so you can't shoot at me with you PDS" scenario i.e. the
>enemy fighters are within the 6 mu range and are cruising past.  The
ADFC
>would also allow the ship to shoot any anything it doesn't like, maybe
>include "friendly allied craft", regardless of intent.

It would be *logical* for it to do so, and it works fine as a house
rule,
but the official rules as currently written don't allow it to do so.

Regards,

Oerjan
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.