Prev: RE: [CON] ECC VIII Preregistration starts December 1st Next: RE: [CON] ECC VIII Preregistration starts December 1st

Re: [FT] sensors

From: Samuel Penn <sam@b...>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 19:44:49 +0000
Subject: Re: [FT] sensors

On Friday 03 December 2004 18:09, Thomas Westbrook wrote:
> I thought that it is the generally accepted theory that nothing,
including
> light in all is forms, could escape the grasp of the black hole if it
was
> past the event horizion (though I haven't kept up on most of the new
> theories).  It would seem that any matter being "eaten" by the black
hole,
> would not have any detectable radiation, except that on the "normal"
side
> of the event horizion.

Look up Hawking radiation. Basically, black holes evaporate given
enough time. A *lot* of time is needed, but micro black holes
formed at the time of the big bang have had long enough to
evaporate by now. No idea how big a 'micro' black hole is however.

Matter falling into a black hole also gives off a lot of detectable
radiation before it hits the event horizon. A black hole (I'm guessing
here) may collect a ring of hot dust around it as well.

--
Be seeing you,				   http://www.glendale.org.uk/
Sam.					jabber: samuel.penn@jabber.org