Prev: RE: [OFFICIAL] Freighters/Merchants question Next: RE: Freighters/Merchants question

Long post - RE: [OFFICIAL] Freighters/Merchants question

From: "B Lin" <lin@r...>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 12:47:48 -0700
Subject: Long post - RE: [OFFICIAL] Freighters/Merchants question

Actually, no. you don't need to disassemble and reassemble the modules
at every stop.

If you know which containers need to off-loaded and in what order, you
simply place the earliest containers to the outer edge, and later
containers towards the inside.	Like properly loading a delivery van,
you don't unpack and repack a van at every stop.  You may have to
re-arrange at some point as you pick-up spheres that are slated for
later delivery, but a 4-layer stack of spheres provides direct access to
29 spheres/modules out of 30 (4x4 (16), 3x3(9-1),2x2 (4) and 1x1 (1)),
the remaining 1 module in the center can be used for life support or as
the single "structural" sphere to hold the whole mass together. Larger
masses (a 5-layer pyramid has 55 units, a 6 layer pyramid has 91) will
have more inaccessable modules, but if you are shipping 91 at a time,
chances are that a large portion are being dropped at a single location,
in which case, entire layers are dropped off at once.

The advantages are that you aren't limited by the structure of the ship
- if a "standard design" ship has docking ports for 30 modules, you are
limited to shipping a maximum of 30 modules, if you want to ship 32,
then you need two ships.  If you are only shipping 10 modules, then you
are paying to move supporting structure for 20 modules.

If you argue that you can just "strap on" a couple more modules, you
then essentially have the sphere module ship, so why limit yourself in
the first place?

All the designs I have seen for modular freight ships have either
relatively small connection points (the small ends of containers
attached to a central core) or have large attachment points, but then
strap on containers to containers to achieve a reasonable number of
modules carried.  If you can PSB either design then the same reasoning
justifies the sphere design which has multiple small connection points
and straps containers to containers.

A pyramid design ensures that each component is connected to at least 2
other components and as many as 8.  If a single structure fails, unless
it is an outer component, there are at least two other components taking
up the slack.  Modern containers are rated to 24 metric tons of carrying
capacity, but must withstand being stacked up to 6 deep, meaning they
have to be designed to support over 150 metric tons (cargo + container
weight).  Obviously people don't worry much about a single container
failing and causing 150 tons to drop through the bottom of the ship.
The structure of a future sphere will be designed to handle
"appropriate" amounts of stress, and like current containers, the owners
will be responsible for their structural integrity and liable for losses
due to the failure of their container.

The design of such freighters is to just move freight and that such
"commercial" freighters are not military ships, they will not be
designed to pull 10's of G's of acceleration, they are designed to move
the largest amount of cargo for the cheapest cost.  Military transport
ships may be built to a different design driven by a different set of
requirements (faster speeds, higher acceration, greater structural
strength).

For transport to ground side, you seem to be making the assumption that
a cargo module would be small enough to fit on a shuttle.  I was
imagining larger masses - each module massing 1000-5000 tons (full)
each.  I don't think it would be efficient to try to land 5000 tons of
cargo in a glider (for comparison a fully loaded 747 weighs 330 tons) .
Each sphere could be packed with smaller "glider-friendly" modules of
10-100 tons inside.  If there is any sort of queue to get containers
down to the surface, then it doesn't matter as much that it takes time
to fully unload a sphere as the limiting step will be the availablility
of gliders.

Modern container ships are only efficient at ports with the appropriate
facilties, and even then are limited by the number of cranes that can
reach the ship - I think large container ships can be serviced by 3-4
cranes, but it still takes days to unload a large container ship because
there are thousands of containers (I think the largest container ships
now carry about 6000 TEU's (twenty-foot equivalent units) each).  Future
modular containers will only be as useful as the environment they are
used in allows - for instance if your cargo is going to Backwater Planet
with just a small space station and no regular cargo surface shuttle,
then your glider designed module costs you extra money to transport with
no gain in use.  If your goal is to transport goods cheaply between
systems, then the additional cost of transporting modular structure
around that isn't utilized increases your transport costs.

Continuing to use the modern example for specialized environment,
container trucks are not the same as a standard haul tractor-trailer
trucks.  Container trucks have added equipment to lift, attach and
otherwise manipulate a container which can contain up to 24 metric tons
of goods, which is additional equipment and weight that is not necessary
if you are delivering goods to the local delivery store.  Most
containers are delivered to warehouses or manufacturing facilities,
where the large quantity of goods inside are unloaded, repackaged and
then delivered by more conventional means.

Massive modular cargo movements will tend to be between major ports,
with the facilities to manipulate large quantities of modules in and out
of the system.	It may take hours or days to unload a modular ship, but
that is not time wasted, as the freighter can re-fuel, grant shore-leave
or perform maintenance on the ship while modules are being shuffled
around.

Larger freight companies may even maintain a fleet of extra engine
modules at major ports, allowing defective or low-fuel modules to be
switched out or extra modules added to a ship to increase its size
and/or speed.  Re-fueling might be as simple a plugging a new fuel
module on while pulling the empty off the other side. Or in a more
drastic maneuver the command and maneuver modules will be popped off
with their current crew and a new ship (command and maneuver modules)and
crew popped on and sent on their way.

In addition, like modern large container ships, the large or super-large
modular ships will only ply major trade routes, where their efficiency
(full loads, massive quantities) can be realized.  You would be unlikely
to find any type of modular freighter plying the small trade routes on a
regular basis, partly because of lower demand, and the lack of
infrastructure to support a modular system.

--Binhan