Prev: [FT] Debris Reef Harbour [LONG] Next: RE: [FT] Debris Reef Harbour [LONG]

Re: [FT] Debris Reef Harbour [LONG]

From: Doug Evans <devans@n...>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 08:21:07 -0500
Subject: Re: [FT] Debris Reef Harbour [LONG]

>A Debris Reef Harbour will usually be encountered in systems that
border
>potentially hostile intersellar nations...
>
>Systems that are home to a nation's reserve fleet...
>
>And systems that enjoy extensive asteroid mining operations.

Not sure if your intending that it has to be 'all of the above', but I
would, as it seems to me that it would take a heck of a lot of
transport,
as in prohibitive, to move that much material any appreciable distance.
Remember, in reality, you're talking about a sphere, though the spirals
are
in two dimensions.

In fact, if the mining process wasn't geared to launching trailings to
be
concentrated in the staging area, even the vast distances that actually
occur in asteriod fields as we know them would probably be prohibitive.

Sorry, I'm always a little suspicious of an idea that sounds like
something
for nothing... ;->=

However, the mechanism sounds fascinating; I'll have to find an
appropriate
pop can to give it a try!

The_Beast

Prev: [FT] Debris Reef Harbour [LONG] Next: RE: [FT] Debris Reef Harbour [LONG]