Prev: Re: Magnetic Basing material/steel paper Next: Re: Magnetic Basing material/steel paper

Re: My New Fleet

From: Doug Evans <devans@n...>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 12:07:41 -0500
Subject: Re: My New Fleet

>I thought that monitors were light craft with BIG guns and generally
not
as fast as normal warships but faster than the bulk freight carrier,

I'm pretty certain the term goes back to Napoleonic, if not earlier, but
the meaning has definitely shifted over time. Natch, the titular
'Monitor'
for ACW was a single gun ship, and the ACW  tended to classify monitor
as
low deck with turret(s). I think the sail monitors were smaller ships
with
single mortars; I thought the Great War (if you follow my thinking that
WWI
and WWII was one war with a long haitus) monitors were often freighter
hulls with a large gun slung on.

Strangely enough, if I am right, these tended NOT to have turrets.

Of course, I could be full of, er, beans on any of these points, so you
know I'll STILL be googleing...

Point taken on SFB, but it's not dead yet... (damn, MORE Monty Python)

However, weren't we talking about monitors vis a vis Starfire?

I'm so tired, it's been such a long exposition...

The_Beast

Prev: Re: Magnetic Basing material/steel paper Next: Re: Magnetic Basing material/steel paper