Prev: Re: Initiative - was RE: Piquet Next: RE: Initiative - was RE: Piquet

RE: Initiative - was RE: Piquet

From: Adrian Reen-Shuler <saltpeanuts73@y...>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 17:08:59 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: RE: Initiative - was RE: Piquet

I think it's interesting that we all accept random die
rolls coupled with  modifiers as a good way to resolve
fire combat and morale, but many of us balk at using
the same method to simulate command and control
issues.

It's understood that a 30% chance of getting a "hit"
on an enemy unit doesn't mean your unit only shoots a
single round and that round only has a 30% chance of
hitting, but rather the cumulative effect of your
unit's fire has a 30% chance of effecting the enemy.

So, the single die roll is not literally the action,
but rather is combined with modifiers to provide a
representation of the overall effect of many actions,
decisions, and conditions.

Granted, in PK the modifiers are a bit unorthodox (#
of "infantry move in open" cards... vs. the standard
+1 to hit at close range), but I think the principle
is the same. Modifiers + randomness simulate reality
in a fairly predictable but not guaranteed way. (No
one in their right mind is going to charge an SD with
a lone DD, but how many times have we all rolled
nothing but 1's with the SD and the DD's gotten clean
away?)

-Adrian

--- B Lin <lin@rxkinetix.com> wrote:

> Allan,
>	Some of your examples support the points of where
> Piquet fails in the initative department:
>
> 1) Howard was a known negative factor and Hooker
> attempted to compensate by moving Reynolds to cover
> the flank, in Piquet you have no idea which units
> you are going to be able to move until you get some
> initative points to do something.  You can not
> compensate for a known break in the command, because
> there is no fore knowledge of the weak points in
> your command structure.  When you do send orders to
> any unit, they will execute your orders, not 1-3
> turns from now, but this turn.
>
> 2)  Hooker made a rapid decision to reinforce
> Howard's flank - the decision was made and the
> orders issued.  But Reynolds did not receive the
> appropriate information (orders) until it was too
> late.  Again, the decision for action was made
> quickly, but the reception of those orders lagged.
> I'm sure Reynolds did not sit on the orders for
> hours after receiving them, but executed as soon as
> was possible.
>
> 3) Hooker ordered Sedgwick to take Lee in the rear,
> again he made the decision quickly but as you
> pointed out, he did not emphasize speed enough and
> Sedgwick was a day late.  If Sedgwick had understood
> Hooker's emphasis, perhaps he might have moved
> faster - again it is an issue of complete
> information in a timely manner.
>
> There is a difference between a known problem and a
> known possibility of a problem.  For instance a
> rifle that jams 10% of the time in a firefight and
> taking a couple of minutes to unjam is different
> than having 10% of your rifles out of action due to
> manufacturing problems.  In the first case, you
> might have 100 rifles with the overall effect being
> that you get 90% of rated firepower, in the second
> case you field 90 rifles out of a possible 100 so
> you get 90% rated firepower.	It appears the same,
> until you are the guy at the sharp end of the stick.
>  Would you have more confidence in a firearm that
> jams 10% of the time or one that jams rarely?  If
> you know 10% of your rifles are sidelined, you can
> take steps to alleviate or bypass the problem -
> perhaps of the 10 sidelined you can scrounge enough
> parts to make a few more work, perhaps knowing that
> 10% of rifles orderded are defective so you increase
> your order by 10% to compensate.  If the rifles just
> jam randomly, then your!
>   guys are just screwed in a firefight they have to
> take their chances.
>
> So at a company level it appears that there is no
> difference - whether the problem is random
> statistical chance or a delineated subset of the
> whole, but in practice it makes a world of
> difference.  Piquet's initiative is another example.
>  It generates results similar to historical results,
> but how it does it doesn't necessarily correlate
> with how those results were achieved in the
> historical example.  In Piquet, a unit may sit and
> [...]
=== message truncated ===

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

Prev: Re: Initiative - was RE: Piquet Next: RE: Initiative - was RE: Piquet