Prev: Piquet was RE: Tech Levels and Quality was Re: DS3 design (long) Next: Re: new assault rifle was: Re: Tech Levels and Quality was Re: DS3 design (long)

RE: Tech Levels and Quality on the SGII end

From: J L Hilal <jlhilal@y...>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 08:55:03 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: RE: Tech Levels and Quality on the SGII end

--- "Robertson, Brendan" <Brendan.Robertson@dva.gov.au> wrote:
> Very rough, but should scale the tech levels together.
>
> Bows: FP 0.5, Impact d4
> Crossbows: FP 0.25, Impact d6
> Ballista: FP d4, Impact d8
> Catapult: treat as light mortar
> Trebuchet: treat as heavy mortar
>
> Bolt Action Rifles: FP 1, impact d8
> Automatic rifles: FP 2, impact d8

Personally, Ithink there should be more spread between manual action
weapons and semi-auto/selective fire.  If SMGs are going to remain at
FP:3 as RAW, then BS/manual action should be reduced to 0.5.

> Kinetic SAW: FP d8, Impact d8
> LAW: FP d6, Impact d10*
> Laser rifles: FP2, Impact d10
> Laser SAW: FP d8, Impact d10
> Plasma Carbines: FP 2, Impact d12
> Plasma SAW: FP d10, Impact d12
>
> Psion blast: FP d6, Impact d6*
>
> Light medieval armor: d6
> light modern armor/heavy medieval armor: d8
> light PA/heavy modern armor: d10
> heavy PA: d12

Armors should have two values.	Firt vs. mussle powered weapons, 2nd
vs. firearms.  Medieval armors should give no added protection vs.
firearms, and soft modern armors should give little or no added
protection againsts swords and arrows.

> Close Quarters Battle:
> For each step difference in armor die, the higher combatant gets a +1
> die shift to their Q-die during resolution.  Apply shifts for melee
> weapons and flamers as normal in addition to this. eg. a Yellow
> peasant in light medieval armor (d6) and pike faces off against
> a Blue soldier in heavy modern armor (d10); the soldier gets a +2 die
> shift in close combat for higher tech level, but the peasant gets a
+1
> for having a melee weapon.  The soldier ends on a d12 and the peasant

> a d6; still possible for the peasant to get lucky.

I have always seen SG2 "Close Assault" as covering modern CQB, not just
actual HTH.  In this view, you are giving too much credit to hand
weapons and medieval armor against an opponent armed with repeating
firearms.