Prev: Re: DS3 design (long) Next: Re: DS3 design (long)

RE: DS3 weapons was RE: (DS): Systems per Class

From: J L Hilal <jlhilal@y...>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 02:55:10 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: RE: DS3 weapons was RE: (DS): Systems per Class

--- Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@telia.com> wrote:
> Jared Hilal wrote:
>  >We kicked it around this weekend, and we are going to use a range
>  >of Armor Die types, but we are going to take the next step too;
>  >since we use the SG2 range of base die types (up to d12x2), we are
>  >going to do the same for armor.
>  >
>  >I.e. for normal vehicles, the top of the scale will be d12, but
>  >special, setting specific, units will have a x2 multiplier.
>
> Applying a x2 multiplier to the Armour *die type* is equivalent to
> applying the same x2 multiplier to the Armour *rating* - so what
> you're really doing with this x2 multiplier is to allow armour
ratings
> higher than 5 :-) (Which is of course a Good Thing, and something
I've
> argued for for years.)

In game effect, yes and no.  By allowing the QUALITY of the armor to go
up to x2, that does not address, the total armor LEVEL.  The concept
that we had is that the level denotes the amount, so that 500mm
aluminum is not as good as 500mm KCNS (I don't know the terms for
non-naval steel armor), which in turn is not as good as 500mm Chobham.

Also, allowing the quality up to x2 does not preclude allowing higher
levels.

Take, for example, the Ogre setting: present-day armored vehicles can
be encountered as milita/national guard type units, but future "modern"
equipment, armored in PBC is much tougher, and unmanned cybertanks can
devote much more of the vehicle to armor.  So . . .

Conventional armor has a x1 multiplier
PBC has a x2 multiplier
manned vehicles can be armored up to their size class
cybertanks can be armored up to twice their size class

thus a Paneuro superheavy (size 5) might have level 5 PBC (d10x10), but
an Ogre Mk I (also size 5) can have level 10 PBC (d10x20).

Makes that old M-1A2 (size 4, level 4 Chobham = d12x4) and T-90 (size
4, level 4 steel = d8x4) look pretty anemic.  :)

Of course if no militia is involved, you can simply leave off the x2
for PBC.

Prev: Re: DS3 design (long) Next: Re: DS3 design (long)