Prev: Re: [OT] Regional Idiom Next: Re: [DS3] Dirtside Accelerator for Infantry

Salvo Missles vs. MT missiles

From: Thomas Westbrook <tom_westbrook@y...>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 09:52:30 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Salvo Missles vs. MT missiles

As player of Full Thrust and new to the GZG mailing list (I apologize if
this is a redundant topic). Why does the Fleet Book use salvo missiles
instead of the more potent, in my opinion, MT missiles.  Is this part of
a NWO conspiracy to have new systems that are inferior to the systems
they replace and call them an improvement?  For instance, The US Navy
with the original Belknap class DDGs could shoot at and hit targets
bordering on 100-nautical miles (nm) with sixty's and seventy's
tetechnologyaka SM2ER. The new Arleighurke (AEGIS) DDGs with their SMVL
systems and nininety'sechnology can only hit at a published range of
60-nm, [in Orwellian doublespeak] what an improvement.	As I learned to
play with MT missiles, I got pretty good at launching at 60mu and
hitting at 40+mu, well out of the range of retaliation from the opposing
force.	Some of friends, current and former US Navy OSs & CIC men, are
better than me, ever so slightly.   With Salvo missiles, while they pack
a pu!
 nch
 (rebutted further) they are one shot whiz-bangs and, in my opinion, not
worth the mass they soak.

Statistically speaking, the salvo missile pack will lock on with about
3.5 missiles and the defender's PDS will shoot down 3.5 missiles,
therefore hitting on average with NONE.  MT missiles, that are shot down
on a 6 on 1D6, will be shot down 17% of the time and hitting 83% of the
time.  Further, the range difference and seeking distance are
drastically different.	MT missiles can hit up to 54mu away (in theory)
and salvo missiles can hit up to a total of 12-18mu, nearly a factor of
2/3 or more LESS.

Generally speaking, the best fleet tactics and weapons as stated by many
navel theorists are those that will destroy the enemy fleet with minimal
damage to your own(like Ma Bell's "reach out and touch someone"). Hence
the domination of the aircraft carrier as a weapons system in WWII and
beyond.

Can we get MT missiles back into the game on standard fleets?  I have
drawn up a few FCT designs that emphasize MT missiles over salvo
missiles, though they exist only on my hard drive.

Prev: Re: [OT] Regional Idiom Next: Re: [DS3] Dirtside Accelerator for Infantry