Prev: [OT] Regional Idiom Re: FMA Sheep III: Pirate Sheeps of the Zombiezi Next: Re: [OT] Regional Idiom Re: FMA Sheep III: Pirate Sheeps of the Zombiezi

Re: [OT] Regional Idiom Re: FMA Sheep III: Pirate Sheeps of the Zombiezi

From: Aaron Teske <mithramuse@y...>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 07:04:59 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [OT] Regional Idiom Re: FMA Sheep III: Pirate Sheeps of the Zombiezi

--- Doug Evans <devans@nebraska.edu> wrote:
> Indy wrote on 09/01/2004 07:20:39 AM:
> > Brian Burger wrote:
> > [...]
> > > Brian.
> > > [1] I'd have written 'coke', but in a sinus/nose context
> > > that might have been badly, badly misunderstood...
> >
> > Could always go with one of the generic words like "soda"
> >
> > Mk
>
> Here in the USA heartland, we say 'pop', and are shunned by
> the rest of the country for it. Make it 'soda pop'.

That's the compromise reached between my family and my aunt &
uncle who live in Minnesota... if we just say, "soda," they look
all befuddled and "huh?" (On purpose, of course.)

> However, while in Georgia, I was asked by my cousin if I
> 'wanted a Coke'. I said sure, and she asked me if I wanted
> generic root beer or lemon-lime.  Seems being so close to
> Coca-Cola's international hdqrs means that Coke is
> synonomous with carbonated soft drinks...

Interestingly enough, it's the same way in China -- Coke is a
generic name for any carbonated beverage, probably since it was
the first one introduced there oh so long ago.

			   Aaron

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail