Prev: Re: Got back from GENCON Next: [OT] First extrasolar Earth-type planet discovered?

[OT] Cons, and semi-on topic Re: Got back from GENCON

From: Doug Evans <devans@n...>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 10:20:22 -0500
Subject: [OT] Cons, and semi-on topic Re: Got back from GENCON

I think a somewhat strong point can be made that many a-historical games
from smaller manufacturers get squeezed out between cons limited to
historical and large manufacturer, 'games day' conventions.

That said, there's nothing sinister, merely the nature of the beast (
;->=
). Still, I've noticed even HGMS, outside of the East, is allowing
wiggle
room just to try and bring new folk in. Besides future war, there's been
some VSF as speculative history at HGMS gatherings.

Please note my comment about miniatures at GenCon was with the knowledge
that it's historically ( ;->= ) an RPG convention; it's generally touted
as
encouraging ALL gaming, though. It's unfortunate KR isn't posting to the
list. His feelings of tabletop gaming being the red-headed step child of
the con could be most forceful. ;->=

As a side note, in conversation at a local game store, Gauntlet Games, I
tried to make the point that GenCon was the trade show with a game
convention attached, and Origins had become the actual game con. My
friend
the store owner objected, stating he'd found much better wares, and
better
displayed at Origins. I stand by my statement, with the codicle of trade
show for the big players, and a lesser con for gamers AND store owners.
My
barely-informed impressions were that the bigger and fancier parties
were
at GenCon, though I understand that may have slipped a bit recently.

By the way, I'm attempting the case that this is marginally on topic
because of the effect it can have on our own saintly one's exposure
within
the US. Let's not make it TOO wild a conversation. ;->=

The_Beast

Prev: Re: Got back from GENCON Next: [OT] First extrasolar Earth-type planet discovered?