Prev: [OT] Castings weight Re: Plastic 'flight stands' Next: Re: [OT] Castings weight Re: Plastic 'flight stands'

Re: [OT] Castings weight Re: Plastic 'flight stands'

From: Tony Francis <tony@b...>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 12:19:49 +0100
Subject: Re: [OT] Castings weight Re: Plastic 'flight stands'

Yep, the difference in weight is very significant - our metal Pommerania

SDN was also hollow, but still weighed a great deal. The resin version
(with a few metal parts) weighs an awful lot less - maybe a quarter of
the weight in a polyurethane resin. It also now has fewer parts (resin
hull plus 5 metal pieces as opposed to metal hull with 8 pieces) because

the hull can be cast in one solid piece. One problem that this has
thrown up is that the CoG of the model has changed so the location of
the mounting hole isn't right anymore (the metal parts are all at the
back so it has a tendency to overbalance backwards). Casting quality is
better because our current (soon to be replaced) kit doesn't cope well
with large, heavy castings. We've done the same with with several other
models (Chinese DN has gone from 8 metal parts to one resin plus 3
metal, EuroFed BB from 6 metal to one resin plus 3 metal and so on).
Switching our 15mm models from metal to resin was the biggest gain, the
casting quality is much improved and the masters are so much easier to
make since I no longer have to worry about making multi-part masters
that fit together neatly with hidden joins, etc. The resin is also
slightly cheaper so we've been able to hold off increasing their prices
as we have had to with some of the metal models. The only downside is
that the moulds have a shorter life, although since our sales aren't up
with the full-time guys this hasn't been a major issue.