Prev: Re: [DS2] Vehicle Design Next: Re: [DS2] Vehicle Design

Re: [DS2] Vehicle Design

From: Samuel Penn <sam@b...>
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2004 22:33:21 +0100
Subject: Re: [DS2] Vehicle Design

On Sunday 01 August 2004 22:23, Brian B wrote:
> --- Samuel Penn <sam@bifrost.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> > In the near future, lasers might become usable, but not as
> > effective or reliable as KE weapons. For a balancing point
> > system, this would make lasers cheap weapons, which is totally
> > the opposite of what they should be from the background point of
> > view.
>
> Which background?

The one I described in the previous paragraph.

> But let's say you want to field a force of Renegade
> Legion-setting grav tanks against a force from B5
> Gropos in a one-off match.  How do you determine force
> composition for each side?

As I said, for competition games, you're only interested
in the effectiveness in order to build balanced forces.
What I'm talking about is only of interest if you want
flavour for a particular campaign background.

> > You could have an optional modifier depending on
> > available tech,
> > which could be ignored for competition style games,
> > but used
> > for campaign style games where background flavour is
> > important.
>
> Yes, you can, but that modifier should not be part of
> the generic game's base point system, it should be
> part of a setting-specific construction system, since
> every setting makes different assumptions about what a
> "tech level" is.

Yes, but it wouldn't be that difficult to put in some
structure for availability modifiers for different types
of tech. 'Barely available' might give a x3 modifier to
cost for instance for, say, grav tech.

--
Be seeing you,				   http://www.glendale.org.uk/
Sam.					jabber: samuel.penn@jabber.org

Prev: Re: [DS2] Vehicle Design Next: Re: [DS2] Vehicle Design