Prev: Re: [List] Repeat posts? Re: Well, too interesting to drop all of the posts in this thread... Next: Re: Flanking

Re: Facing was: Well, too interesting

From: Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 12:42:19 +0200
Subject: Re: Facing was: Well, too interesting

KHR wrote:

>At least for WWII tanks, the optimum orientation was NOT facing the
enemy
>directly, but rather, when the diagonal pointed towards the enemy!

Yep - because many WW2 tanks, particularly German ones, had poorly
sloped
(or even vertical), flat (ie., non-curved) armour plates and a
relatively
even distribution of armour thickness around the hull. By turning the
diagonal towards the enemy you created a "sloped armour" effect
increasing
the effective armour thickness, but you often did this at the cost of
increasing the target area displayed to the enemy... and, of course, at
the
cost of having to put relatively heavy armour on the sides of your
vehicle
as well as on the front (since any angle big enough to give a
significant
boost to your frontal armour will also give a significant risk of
projectiles hitting the side armour *not* glancing off). Sloped/curved
armours give similar effects even when the vehicle is facing straight
towards the enemy, in addition to allowing the sides to be lighter
armoured
and presenting a smaller target area to the enemy. ('Course, DS2 doesn't

allow vehicles to have different Signatures from different aspects - and

for playability reasons I'm not particularly inclined to make DS3 do it
either :-/ )

But your main point is very good: for many vehicles, DS2's way of
determining the angle of attack in the diagram on p.32 isn't very
appropriate - and for some models, eg. GZG's DSM-116 Poruzh with its
wedge-shaped hull, it can be pretty difficult to apply the p.32 diagram
anyway. I'd prefer to use simple 90-degree arcs instead, mainly because
it
is simpler to use in play but also because it takes some of the effects
of
glancing fire on the forward side armour (which in reality is
effectively
part of the frontal armour anyway) into account.

Later,

Oerjan
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
-Hen3ry

Prev: Re: [List] Repeat posts? Re: Well, too interesting to drop all of the posts in this thread... Next: Re: Flanking