Prev: Re: Asymmetry was: Well, too interesting Next: Re: Well, too interesting to drop all of the posts in this thread...

Re: Asymmetry was: Well, too interesting

From: John K Lerchey <lerchey@a...>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 10:47:38 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: Asymmetry was: Well, too interesting

The Lee/Grant did not have asymmetrical armor.	It did have a gun
sponson
for the 75mm in the front of the hull, offset to one side.  I suppose
that
that would make the gun housing a "weak point" on the front/side, but
I've
never seen it reflected in any WWII game that I've ever played.

Allowing for armor to be equal all around or to be oddly balanced is
fine,
but it does mean that you'll have to pay for armor on each facing
(assuming a point system).  I'm not against this, but everything that
I've
seen (including about 10 years playing a home-brew SG level game that
included vehicles with a very flexible design system) is that designers
concentrate the armor to the front, and rarely don't balance the sides.

Again, I'm not against it, but I do have to wonder if the net effect
will
end up with heavy frontal armor, balanced sides (weaker than the front),

and top/bottom/rear all being even weaker and about the same...

John K. Lerchey
Computer and Network Security Coordinator
Computing Services
Carnegie Mellon University