Prev: RE: Philosophy/Design of SF War Games Next: RE: Philosophy/Design of SF War Games

Re: Well, too interesting to drop all of the posts in this thread...

From: Brian B <greywanderer987@y...>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 19:44:41 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Well, too interesting to drop all of the posts in this thread...

--- Glenn M Wilson <warbeads@juno.com> wrote:

> >1.  Semi-direct fire; ie., artillery-delivered
> attacks
> >on specific vehicles instead of area effect.
>
> I assume this would require F.O. skills as
> currently?

Unless the FO rules are modified too, yes.

> >3. Allow for a greater variety of armor levels on
> all
> >sides of vehicles.
>
> Sure, although this slightly complicates angle of
> attack since you now
> have at least three values (top being only relevant
> for top attacking
> systems.)

Actually, 6 values:  front, rear, top, bottom, and
sides.

> >5. PDS that can engage incoming MDC/HKP/HVC/SLAM
> >attacks.
>
> Should this be everybody or should low tech/Basic
> PDS (whatever Low tech
> means) be limited in this?

Obviously, the ability to do this will be affected by
the quality of PDS.

> >6. Expansion of GMS classes to 1-5 (call them P, L,
> M,
> >H, and SH if you like)
>
> Sure, then they could be costed like 'guns'.

Well, not exactly like them, but it would definitely
add flavor.

> >7.  Expanded CBR rules, including a modifier for
> the
> >mobility type of off-board arty.
>
> How much 'expanded'?

That's a matter of great discussion.  But as the rules
now, any off-board arty unit is equally exposed to CB
regardless of mobility type.  How far you can scoot
after you shoot, as well as how stealthily you can
shoot in the first place, should affect your exposure
to CBR.

> >8. Expanded C3 rules that allow for greater and/or
> >less reliance on on-board C3 element.
>
> Depends on implementation.

Some of it has been discussed on the list before, but
I'd be happy to expound later.	If you're curious, let
me know, and change the thread title.

> >9. Expanded AI rules
>
> Where players could set level of AI, yes.

Absolutely.

> >10. Mast-mounted Firecon for VTOLS to allow for
> >"Hull-down" protection while firing.
>
> Their own weapons like GMS or others (relates to
> #2)?

Either/both.

> >11.	Expanded rules for Biped Vs. Quadruped+
> walkers,
> >walker speeds independent from "Infantry
> walker/combat
> >walker/transport walker" designations
>
> Well that could be done for all modes of movement.

Currently, all other modes of movement are based on
mobility type.	For walkers, it's based on function.

> >12. Allow GMS to engage VTOL & Aerospace units
>
> Sure, dual purpose (triple purpose for fast mover
> Aerospace units) should
> be higher cost (or maybe require
> Basic/Enhanced/Superior GCS)?

Make them more expensive, for sure.  Any construction
requirement is setting-specific.

> >13. Allow direct fire weapons to engage High Mode
> >VTOL's
>
> HEL's Yes, MDCs seems Logical, HKP maybe.... DFFG
> Maybe not?

If a modern MBT main gun can do it, why not a DFFG?

> >14. Make ZAD a Firecon system attachable to any
> direct
> >fire weapon
>
> Hmm, maybe.

No maybe, it should be done.  If a ZAD is nothing but
a gun with an advanced turret and Firecon, then ANY
gun should be available with that firecon.  That will
make more powerful ZADS possible, but you can still
limit it to certain eapons for certain settings.

> >16. Fire-on-the-fly; allow vehicles to fire at any
> >point before, during, or after movement.
>
> Okay, might make more complicated direct fire but if
> done right...

This change would almost necessitate the further
expansion of opportunity & defensive fire.

> >20. 5 levels of firecon for single-range weapons
> like
> >GMS, CBR, and HEL's
>
> Interesting.

I'd advocate the same change for other weapons, but
what do you do with a weapon whose Firecon is D4 at
short range, or d12 at long range?

> >21. Allow arty to self-spot.
> >

> Do you mean via drones (which should be in some form
> of ADE/CADE (counter
> ADE) factor like ADE in SG 2?) or something
> different?

Something different -- Something along the lines of
bore-sighted direct artillery fire, or a non-firing
element of the unit to spot for the rest of the unit.

=====
"In life, you must try and be the type of person that your dog thinks
you are."

- Anonymous

http://messenger.yahoo.com

Prev: RE: Philosophy/Design of SF War Games Next: RE: Philosophy/Design of SF War Games