Prev: RE: [DSII] Aeons of the Stranger Sort Next: Re: (DS): Systems per Class

RE: Philosophy/Design of SF War Games was Re: (DS): Systems per Class

From: "Edward Lipsett \(work\)" <translation@i...>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 08:55:52 +0900
Subject: RE: Philosophy/Design of SF War Games was Re: (DS): Systems per Class

There was a story called "Hawk among Sparrows" by superb SF author Dean
McLaughlin. He postulated a brand new fighter time-slipped back to WW1,
trying to fight German biplanes... Missiles didn't work, because the
engines
were too cool and radar signatures poor (wood/paper planes).
Couldn't hardly land because runways were too short.
Fuel wasn't available, and he finally had to strain what they had 20
times
to get it to the point where his plane could burn it.

He was finally reduced to using the supersonic wavefront as a weapon,
and
eventually sucked something into his jet intake with painful results.
Fun read.

But your point is taken...

Edward Lipsett
Fukuoka, Japan