Prev: Re: Philosophy/Design of SF War Games was Re: (DS): Systems per Class Next: RE: [DSII] Aeons of the Stranger Sort

Re: Philosophy/Design of SF War Games was Re: (DS): Systems per Class

From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@q...>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2004 18:07:34 -0400
Subject: Re: Philosophy/Design of SF War Games was Re: (DS): Systems per Class

> You may have 1960/USA technology up against Imperial armies vastly
> in advance of the defenders. Any rules would have to allow both
> types of armies on the battlefield at the same time.

"The Imperials win."
  I think that anything more than 1-2 tech levels difference means
that the low-tech side cannot win a battle.  Even that may be
stretching it--imagine an Abrams platoon against a battalion of WWII
Panthers.  Infantry vs infantry would be a little more even, the
modern guys would only have the advantage of night vision gear, better
comms, better anti-armor weapons, body armor, APC's, automatic
weapons, better medical, airmobile, artillery, counter-battery... The
low tech side could operate as terrorists, but that's not a good game.
  So the system needs to handle a difference of a tech level or two,
and needs to handle a range of tech levels overall, but I'm not
convinced that it needs to be able to handle Nam grunts vs Imperial
Marines.

Prev: Re: Philosophy/Design of SF War Games was Re: (DS): Systems per Class Next: RE: [DSII] Aeons of the Stranger Sort