Prev: RE: [OT] I need a reality check Next: Re: [OT] I need a reality check

Re: (DS): Systems per Class

From: Glenn M Wilson <warbeads@j...>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 03:01:35 PDT
Subject: Re: (DS): Systems per Class

Same word, different meaning.  I can't think of a more generic process
then all light tanks are 'light tanks,' all MBTs are 'MBTs,' and etc.

What you are talking about I would call 'universal game mechanics' since
in theory the same mechanics should work as well for historical (the
basis from which we extrapolate the other two genres,) Fantasy and
Science Fiction.

The FMA rules family approach that although the differences between SG 2
and DS 2 alone show that like Topsy they 'just grew' in an 'organic' way
as opposed to a systematic approach.

Maybe that's what seems to drive O. O. to what to rationalize them -
they
are 'biology' (soft, fuzzy and chaotic) rather then 'chemistry'
(precise,
accurate, and predictable) all of which fit the Engineer approach to the
world.

Gracias,
Glenn

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 20:09:00 -0700 (PDT) J L Hilal <jlhilal@yahoo.com>
writes:
>--- Glenn M Wilson <warbeads@juno.com> wrote:
>> For a very generic approach for Battalions and bigger  there is the
>> Prophecy of War rules (see Yahoo for PoW group and also it is in the
>> files of 6mmScienceFictionWarGames group) but it doesn't sound like
>> it's what you want with those changes.
>>

>I've looked at those, and they aren't bad, but a little too abstract,
>which is different from what I mean by generic.
>
>By generic I mean that the same set of movement and combat rules are
>used, but cusomized for each setting.	Things like the relative
>effectiveness/statistics of different types of weapons, their
>availability, etc. can differ between settings like Battletech,
>Centurion, and B5 GROPOS, but the game mechanics stay the same.
>
>Kind of like being able to adapt FT to the B5 EFSB and also Power
>Projection for Traveller.

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!

Prev: RE: [OT] I need a reality check Next: Re: [OT] I need a reality check