Prev: Re: [OT] I need a reality check Next: Re: [FT] Kravak weaponry

Re: Heresy Mine! was Re: (DS): Systems per Class

From: Brian B <greywanderer987@y...>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 07:45:19 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Heresy Mine! was Re: (DS): Systems per Class

Thanks for weighing in, OO. What would you suggest for
capacities for gms launchers & loads?
--- owner-gzg-l@lists.CSUA.Berkeley.EDU
<oerjan.ohlson@telia.com> wrote:
> Glenn Wilson wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > >And yes, it means that the second example MICV
design on p.12 is
> > >illegal.
> >
> >No, That means (TA DA!) the rules are flawed!
>
> That is not a contradiction, you know. Under the
rules as written (and as
> explained by the main developer of the rules, Mike
E.) the example design
> *is illegal* (ie., the RAW contradict themselves);
the fact that the rules
> as written are also *flawed* (as evidenced by the
fact that designs like
> this "illegal" IFV are in service in the real world
today) doesn't make the
> example design any less illegal under the rules as
written.

> FWIW I fully agree with BB that the rules should be
changed; but you have
> to know what the rules actually say *now* before you
can change the rules
> in any meaningful way :-/
>
> ***
> Personally I don't think that the "1 weapon per size
class" is necessary at
> all *if* you use the "elements can only fire 1
weapon per activation" rule.
> If you allow vehicles to fire multiple weapons in a
single activation,
> you'll most likely run into problems with small
vehicles overloaded with
> GMS/L... but only because the GMS/L is underpriced
(especially
> capacity-wise; IMO GMSs (and SLAMs) should use
reloads just like artillery
> does).
>
> ***
> >I think all SF rules with design methodologies are
poorly designed or
> >executed as are most historical and (crawls out on
limb) ALL fantasy
> >efforts.  Reality is too complex for a reasonably
simple game to try and
> >take in.  You compromise and there is where you get
dinged.

> Pah. I'll bet that in at least 90% of the cases
these flaws in various
> vehicle design systems had nothing to do with
"compromise" or "simplicity",
> but everything to do with *ignorance* - the rules
authors simply didn't
> know enough about what their rules were supposed to
model to come up with
> something realistic. In the specific DS2 case, I
know for certain that the
> rules authors' knowledge about the subject came
mostly from Hammer's
> Slammers and similar SF novels, which although
(usually) based on
> real-world combat experience do not give any
particularly complete picture
> of realistic restrictions on vehicle design.
>
> Also for the DS2 case, your point about "paper-thin
armour" misses the
> target by roughly 180 degrees: with *today's*
*thick* armour materials, we
> can stuff more equipment (or men) into a smaller
vehicle hull than DS2's
> supposedly *more* advanced tech base allows us to
do. If future armour is
> so much more volume-efficient (and future weapons
*don't* advance
> correspondingly in penetrative power and thereby
force the vehicle
> designers to keep the armour thickness roughly
unchanged), we ought to be
> able to put *more* stuff (or men) into future
vehicles than we can do today
> - not *less*.
>
> Since DS2 is supposed to be a *generic* game, ie.
*not* tied to a specific
> background with a specific tech base, it cannot
decide "what is the
> baseline (or 'virtual reality' if you prefer) of the
game" - because making
> that decision destroys its supposedly generic
nature; if it is to be
> generic it has to leave that choice to the *player*
(or at least give him a
> very wide array of choices). And that in turn means
that since its low-tech
> options are supposed to cover tech similar to or
slightly ahead of what we
> have today, it really has to to allow the players to
re-create today's
> modern combat vehicles. At the moment DS2 doesn't.
Hopefully DS3 will.

> Regards,
>
> Oerjan
> oerjan.ohlson@telia.com
>
> "Life is like a sewer.
>   What you get out of it, depends on what you put
into it."
> -Hen3ry

=====
"In life, you must try and be the type of person that your dog thinks
you are."

- Anonymous

Prev: Re: [OT] I need a reality check Next: Re: [FT] Kravak weaponry