Prev: Re: [DSII] Aeons of the Stranger Sort Next: Re: [FT] Kravak weaponry

Re: [DSII] Aeons of the Stranger Sort

From: "Allan Goodall" <agoodall@w...>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 08:43:30 -0500
Subject: Re: [DSII] Aeons of the Stranger Sort

On 22 Jul 2004 at 6:12, The GZG Digest wrote:

> Though I love Lovecrafts stuff I never found 'ol Cthulu himself much
of a
> threat, after all if he can be dealt with by ramming him with a ship
then
> a nuke or two ought to have some effect.

Sure, he was rammed by a ship... and then he started to re-form. The
question of Cthulhu being nuked was covered in Chaosium's _Cthulhu Now_
book (later re-released as the 1990s supplement). The book stated that
if
you nuked Cthulhu he'd lose all of his hit points... then he would re-
form 15 minutes later, only now he was radioactive!

I suspect that part of what happens during the End Times is a general
loosing of nuclear weapons at Cthulhu, with the result that much of the
Earth is laid waste but Cthulhu still lives, happily munching on folk as

he goes.

Oh, and don't forget his ability to transmit dreams and drive folk
insane, an ability that seems to be greatly muted due to him being
trapped in R'lyeh.

> A generation before Lovecraft there was a British author (who was
killed
> in WW1) who wrote on a similar theme (can't remember his name but his
> central Paranormal investigator was called Carnacki).

Carnacki the ghost-finder. Written by William Hope Hogson. Most of his
stuff has fallen into the public domain as it was written in 1910 -
1913.
Some older stuff wasn't published until the '40s, so that's still
covered
by copyright. (As it stands, Lovecraft's stuff, the first of which was
published a scant 11 years after Hogson's, isn't due to start hitting
the
public domain until 2016, assuming Disney doesn't push to have copyright

extended beyond 95 years.)

---

Allan Goodall	    http://www.hyperbear.com
agoodall@att.net   agoodall@hyperbear.com

I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Prev: Re: [DSII] Aeons of the Stranger Sort Next: Re: [FT] Kravak weaponry