Prev: Re: [OT] I need a reality check Next: Re: [DSII] Aeons of the Stranger Sort

Re: [OT] I need a reality check

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 06:40:38 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [OT] I need a reality check

--- Doug Evans <devans@nebraska.edu> wrote:

> into context: how large a population does the US
> military AND dependents
> represent? How do the numbers compare with total

Not sure of the second number, but there are something
like 1.1 million people in US Military, active duty
only.  Figure probably 1.5-2 million dependants.

> I sometimes wonder a similar statistical thing when
> I hear of casualty
> reports. It's decidedly morbid, but the stateside
> mortality rate for the
> age groups involved hardly would be zero, in spite
> of the relatively
> healthy, competent, and conscientious sample
> involved.

What you need to look at are statistics for
alcohol-related deaths, training mishaps, and vehicle
accidents per 10,000 troops.  What you find is that
Desert Storm actually inflicted fewer casualties than
would have been lost in peacetime (on average) and
that Iraq is only marginally more dangerous than Fort
Hood.

John

Prev: Re: [OT] I need a reality check Next: Re: [DSII] Aeons of the Stranger Sort